Charlie Batch is not Roy Hobbs
You saw it coming. It was as plain as a homer, complete with the lights exploding. Steeler third team quarterback Charlie Batch is The Natural, I’ve read. I can see why it's being said, but I don't agree.
Let’s examine this. The novel, on which Robert Redford’s movie is based, was written in the early 50s by a fellow scribe named Bernard Malamud and is arguably one of the best sports stories told. Roy Hobbs, the hero, is given a second chance to prove his value. If it’s Vinny Testaverde, we’re talking fifth or sixth chance…and, actually, let’s not compare Charlie or Vinny or Kurt Warner to Roy because Hobbs struck out after deciding against throwing the game. There is nothing wrong with striking out, and no NFL QB would begin to think of what Roy considered. Regardless, this week alone I’ve read enough Roy Hobbs metaphors for the season, so give it a rest.
What Charlie Batch is…is Charlie Batch, and that’s more than enough. He’s a capable runner and passer who has done it before and, as the Detroit Lions’ starter from 1998 through 2001, has done it well. In a 52 game career, he’s put up over 9,000 yards, with 49 TDs against 40 interceptions. Charlie ran the ball 126 times and has endured 148 sacks, because, after all, he did play for Detroit. Most importantly, through all the futility of the Lions and the patience he has exhibited in his four years and eight passes with the Steelers, and considering he has to line up opposite a legend in Beowulf, I’m not worried about Charlie Batch. He’s been around the track several times in his three decades, and, as the old adage goes, the one coaches use when faced with this situation, not only will Pittsburgh win with Charlie Batch, they will win because of Charlie Batch.
I’m still holding with my one touchdown victory.
You saw it coming. It was as plain as a homer, complete with the lights exploding. Steeler third team quarterback Charlie Batch is The Natural, I’ve read. I can see why it's being said, but I don't agree.
Let’s examine this. The novel, on which Robert Redford’s movie is based, was written in the early 50s by a fellow scribe named Bernard Malamud and is arguably one of the best sports stories told. Roy Hobbs, the hero, is given a second chance to prove his value. If it’s Vinny Testaverde, we’re talking fifth or sixth chance…and, actually, let’s not compare Charlie or Vinny or Kurt Warner to Roy because Hobbs struck out after deciding against throwing the game. There is nothing wrong with striking out, and no NFL QB would begin to think of what Roy considered. Regardless, this week alone I’ve read enough Roy Hobbs metaphors for the season, so give it a rest.
What Charlie Batch is…is Charlie Batch, and that’s more than enough. He’s a capable runner and passer who has done it before and, as the Detroit Lions’ starter from 1998 through 2001, has done it well. In a 52 game career, he’s put up over 9,000 yards, with 49 TDs against 40 interceptions. Charlie ran the ball 126 times and has endured 148 sacks, because, after all, he did play for Detroit. Most importantly, through all the futility of the Lions and the patience he has exhibited in his four years and eight passes with the Steelers, and considering he has to line up opposite a legend in Beowulf, I’m not worried about Charlie Batch. He’s been around the track several times in his three decades, and, as the old adage goes, the one coaches use when faced with this situation, not only will Pittsburgh win with Charlie Batch, they will win because of Charlie Batch.
I’m still holding with my one touchdown victory.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home